Bernice Morehouse Research Center – Moved

The Meriden Historical Society sold its 1090 Hanover Ave, the Bernice Morehouse Research Center, Location on  December 29, 2022 and moved its main operations to its new, downtown location: the Meriden Historical Society Museum & History Center, 41 W. Main St. Meriden, CT 06451. 

Bernice C. Morehouse

Bernice C. Morehouse

Bernice C. Morehouse (1914-2000); maintained a lively interest in Meriden until the end of her life. She was the curator of the Meriden Historical Society for almost 25 years. The Research Center is named in her honor.

Many of the antiques of today were manufactured in Meriden, so the center gets worldwide requests for information on International Silver Company, Meriden Britannia, Manning and Bowman, Wilcox and White, Charles Parker, Miller Company, Handel Lamp, Bradley and Hubbard, C.F. Monroe, Aeolian, J.D. Bergen, J.J. Niland, E.A. Bliss, Foster Merriam, Meriden Gravure, and many other Meriden firms.

Allen Weathers

Curator Allen Weathers (right) works
on a research question

Volunteers spend many Wednesday afternoons sorting, organizing, cataloging, and filing printed materials, photos, maps and artifacts relating to the city of Meriden.
The curator and assistants answer numerous questions relating to the history of the city, its occupants and industries. Photo Department

The Photo Department has many ongoing projects


Cataloging and filing is an ongoing task

The Center maintains an extensive collection of original catalogs from International Silver Company and its predecessors. Historical and biographical information is on file for most of Meriden’s numerous manufacturers.
The library contains books relating to Meriden and the silver industry (in English and other languages), pamphlets, maps, catalogs, ledgers, Meriden directories and yearbooks. Library

Second floor research library


Computers make transcribing diaries easier

Your donations will help us upgrade the technology available to researchers.